Clubbed Tunicate/Leathery Sea Squirt
Scientific Name: Styela clava
Present from Northland to Tauranga, Porirua, Picton, Tarakohe, Nelson, Picton, Lyttelton and Otago Harbours.
This Asian seasquirt is brown with lumpy, leathery skin. Woody stalk, generally longer than the body, with longitudinal folds.
• For more info see Marine Biosecurity Porthole
• Boaties Clean Below Good to Go info
If you think you've found a marine pest - report online here
or call our pest and disease hotline 0800 80 99 66
- Can form dense colonies excluding other organisms
- Highly effective filter-feeder
- Preys on larvae of commercially important fisheries species
- Displaces native and fisheries species
- Fouls boats, aquaculture installations and other marine structures